Boarding animals for outside users may be approved by Sanford-Burnham’s IACUC on a case-by-case basis. Animals must be shipped directly from an approved commercial breeder facility. Please call or email the Animal Facility Director at (858)795-5319, email Mary Braxtan
, to discuss your animal housing needs. Access to the animal facility may be restricted to Monday through Friday, 7:30am-3:30pm. Husbandry services include cage changing, cage sanitation, feeding standard diets, water bottle exchange, daily health checks. Breeding colony services are also included in the cage per diem rate, and include breeder set-up, weaning of litters, ear notch identification, tissue collection for genotyping, breeding colony database management and colony maintenance.
Trained animal technicians are available to assist researchers with routine technical procedures. Assistance with procedures must be scheduled in advance through the Training Manager, Buddy Charbono
. Assistance is available Monday through Friday, 8:00am-3:00pm.
Technical procedure services include:
- Feeding of special diets and supplemental diets: (research lab must supply all special diets)
- Drug administration and additives to water bottles: (research lab must supply water additives, including antibiotics, chemicals and drugs)
- Weighing animals
- Tumor palpations and measurements
- Injections: SC, IP, IV, IM, ID
- Oral gavage/dosing
- Blood collection: variable routes
- Cell and animal irradiations: schedule procedure using iLab
- Surgery pre- and post-op care: (surgery set-up, anesthesia, recovery monitoring, fluid administration)
- Imaging and Analysis: (see the Animal Imaging & Analysis core for imaging instruments and services)