Researchers in this program are working to fully understand the role that stem cells play:
- During the earliest stages of development when organs and tissues first form
- During normal physiology (tissue homeostasis)
- When early development goes awry and abnormalities arise
- During the onset of cancer (oncogenesis)
- During degeneration and aging
How our research helps improve health
At the same time researchers are unraveling basic stem cell biology in human development, they are also harnessing stem cell technology to regenerate or replace diseased or damaged tissue. In addition, our scientist are using induced pluripotent stem cells to model diseases in a dish and applying these models to better understand disease and test new treatments.